Day 63 of 365 - May 22, 2013                                                                                 Free 4 Day!

Post anything you want, just make sure it's related to Divergent
I'm sharing the different Divergent covers

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Beautiful Creatures

This month at the YA Blogger Book Club hosted by Readers in Wonderland we read Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.
There was only one discussion because things are changing. It will be more interactive.
The wrap up is on Apr 28, there will be a linky with the reviews @ Readers in Wonderland.

*April is over and now is time for the spoiler free review

Want to join us? We're reading Clockwork Angel in May @ YABBC.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.



Beautiful creatures, I'm still not sured I completely understand the title. When I first heard about the name of the book, I thought it'd be about normal people in our world with real, regular problems, I didn't know it would be paranormal.

At first I didn't know where things were going, was it about him, was it about her, about their connection? There were so many questions throughout the book, most of them were answered in the end but there were still a couple of details that didn't get an explanation. I don't know if they were things we just had to accept or if we'll know more about them in the sequel.
I had a problem with the relationship, I'm not sure if there's a reason we still don't know, but it was even stronger than love at first sight. Their connection is very odd and it's not exactly explained, though I think you could assume certain things but still hope we'll get to see why.

During the first chapters I felt like there weren't that many characters. I mean we heard about them, but it was mostly him and the others weren't really there. About halfway through the story, we see new characters, very different with interesting gifts.
An interesting small town filled with very different, yet similar characters. Some were really frustrating at times, but is that really how we are? They called the others monsters but what sets them apart if their actions are similar?

In spite of everything that's happening, the two main characters are trying to live a normal life while trying to understand everything that keeps happening. This made me think of an episode where the alien asks the human girl "what's so great about normal?" But when things get too weird and dangerous, normal seems like the best thing.
I liked how Ethan, the main character, kept standing up for what he believed, even when he was the only one. He didn't let the threats change his mind, even when the whole town seemed to be turning against them.

Even though it's a small town and there aren't many places to see, some are magical and fun to imagine.

Favorite parts:
I like the alien references throughout the book
And the crossword puzzle words they kept mentioning

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one. Are you planning to watch the movie? I think I will. There are a few books to movies coming out I think I'll go against the norm and experience them in reverse order. I hear Ethan is the best part of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to watch the movie and see how it came out. I usually like watching the movie first but since this was a book I wasn't very excited about, I decided to read it first.

      Delete
  2. Aaah, I do want to read this one. I didn't want to until I saw the trailer for the movie. lol. Terrible right! So glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was competing against Under the Never Sky last month on the YABBC and I didn't really want to read this so I kept on voting for the other one. It won in the end but this one was very close so we decided to read it in April. I'm glad, because otherwise I wouldn't have read it

      Delete
  3. "Beautiful creatures, I'm still not sured I completely understand the title." THIS. I couldn't figure this out either. Because even though there are supernatural beings-they are humanoid. I finally went and figured it out, Macon (or was it Sarafine?) says something like "Humans...such beautiful creatures." But yeah, not a totally great title. I agree with you, Ethan standing up for what he thought was right was very inspiring! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you chose it for April. I did like it in spite of all the weird little things.

      Delete
  4. Oh man I agree with you about the relationship. Something was just plain missing. And definitely agree with you on the title. Like Alise said, when Macon says "Humans.. such beautiful creatures.", I thought ok here it is. But I still didn't get it! I am still waiting to understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, will we understand with the sequel, it has beautiful too, I just don't remember the other word. Maybe they'll connect somehow and be like, so that's how the title fits!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. :D
I try to reply as soon as I can and on your blog. If I can't find your blog I'll reply here.