Day 63 of 365 - May 22, 2013                                                                                 Free 4 Day!

Post anything you want, just make sure it's related to Divergent
I'm sharing the different Divergent covers

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Torment

               
Hell on earth.
That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.
At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous. What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

The second book from the Fallen series, we're back with Luce and her strange world. She still doesn't seem to know many things about it so the choices she makes aren't the greatest. We're back with characters from the first one but there are also new ones.

I know time didn't actually pass since the previous one but I sort of expected Luce to grow up. She is such a child and keeps acting like one. It was a bit frustrating at times, I wanted to scream at her and tell her to see what is really happening around her and stop thinking only about herself and feeling like they're just punishing her.

There wasn't that much action here, so it has its funny moments. The new characters are great, some are weird and crazy but that's what makes them fun. They're like regular teenage girls fangirling. Very relatable, that keeps happening on my twitter timeline, okay I do that sometimes as well.
Although, there were some moments where I didn't know what to think. A 'fight' between Luce and a friend that ended up being everything but a fight. I don't think I'd react that way, it was a little odd for me. Another moment that frustrated me was with another character. I can't understand why guys, sometimes girls, try everything they can to get a moment with a person that is obviously off limits. And I say off limits because she's supposed to be in love, she has a boyfriend and history and everything but he's still there, even though he knows.

The relationship between Luce and Daniel has its ups and downs, that was a good thing in a way, knowing its not perfect. Though most of the time was because she keeps acting like a child, well, that's my opinion. Maybe I see things differently now, because I do understand her emotions and thought like her at some point.

The action came eventually, well, sort of, it was not what I was expecting. It's supposed to be the big moment everyone's waiting for, but it turned out to be less than what it should have been. But it does lead to the main character, hopefully growing up. I do want to read the third book and see how this decision changes her.

Is consistent with the first, we still have an external narrator, and though sometimes I feel like we don't actually connect with the main character since we don't see things from her point of view only, I still like knowing more than she does, even when she makes mistakes. Seeing them from the outside, knowing what went wrong and how she's not looking at everything makes me wonder of all the similar mistakes I once made. Was I wrong and somehow biased by what I thought was right, not actually looking at things from a different perspective?

Favorite parts:
"I let you out from under my wing for two days and another guy swoops in."
Love was supposed to be easy, wasn't it?I know better now

8 comments:

  1. I wanted her to grow up too, but enjoyed this one overall as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she finally grows up on the next one. It got a bit frustrating at times

      Delete
  2. I think I remember hearing about her being a child before. Thanks for sharing about this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like people saw that as well. It happened with the first one also, she was just the same lol

      Delete
  3. I felt like she was on the immature side in this particular book as well. You should enjoy the next ones much more. She does do some major developing as a character. I also agree with you about the additional characters and the 'off limits' action that went on. Excellent review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the others get better, I think it's a good series

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the review! Good to know that the story picks up right were it left off, there's not all that wondering what happened in between to deal with. Curious though that it doesn't have a lot of action, supposing it acts as more of a connecting piece? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it more as figuring things out, there was action here and there but nothing big.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. :D
I try to reply as soon as I can and on your blog. If I can't find your blog I'll reply here.