Day 63 of 365 - May 22, 2013                                                                                 Free 4 Day!

Post anything you want, just make sure it's related to Divergent
I'm sharing the different Divergent covers

Friday, April 26, 2013

Unraveling


Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.
And that was before she died...and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet




I had chosen another book for this challenge this month but when I saw Pitch Dark Books was re reading Unraveling this week, I had to join and since I didn't actually write a review the first time, I decided to change to this book.
I first read this in Dec and now I feel like I was too harsh. I remember reading reviews about it before choosing this book, I was looking for dystopian novels for the end of the world marathon and I liked it but found several negative reviews so I went into this book with the thought that it was practically a copy of other ideas. I remember thinking the first time, as I was reading the first chapters that everything looked very familiar to different stories and I had just started reading Sci Fi; I kept questioning everything. It wasn't until halfway through, that I stopped thinking like that and looked at it as fiction (there's a reason why I read mostly fiction) and stopped comparing every little detail. I found two things: 1, I liked that kind of plot and Sci Fi was not what I thought it would be; and 2, it reminded me that I do love mysteries and trying to figure things out.
So, would I change my rating after reading this a second time with an open mind? Yes! I'll give it 5 monkey bookmarks!



I love everything about it! You'd think since it was very similar to a show (based on a series) I loved, still do, I would have been more open to this book and really liked it. Back then I felt like it was a betrayal, but not anymore. They are not the same, they have similar ideas, but every little difference is what makes each one what they are, amazing.

As I was re reading it, I kept thinking of my first images of this world and characters and they have not changed. I still see the streets, events and characters the way I first pictured them.

This story keeps unraveling (interesting choice of words) all the way till the end. You never stop wondering what will happen next, how will things wrap up and what will happen with the characters. This is full of surprises and twists and you just don't see most of them coming. It's a mystery - crime investigation with a fantastical plot, that just keeps you wondering what is really going on.

There's still the normal teenager with a big responsability, dealing with high school and life, very realistic and relatable. The normal side of the story has many characters and events to which the reader connects, but there is more to that, where the paranormal - for me is paranormal, most of those things aren't possible and the others, even if they're theoretically possible, I just don't believe - side comes in. So, it's a little surreal, but that's what makes it Sci Fi and interesting. She's trying to take care of her normal life, practically raising her brother by herself, while trying to figure out what is happening. Aren't they always teenagers trying to save the world? Doing things we say are impossible, but that's how life in fiction books work. They're there to entertain us and this one did just that. It's a new world with different rules.

I love Ben, he is awesome and just the way I like them, like Daryl from the Walking Dead. I've heard complaints about the characters and how they're too perfect, but I don't think they are, besides people with those characteristics do exist, aside from the paranormal stuff.

I'm glad I read it again with a different way of thinking and not really letting other people's reviews make up my mind, assuming the worst before even starting it. I've been always aware of the fact that we don't all think the same way, I usually accept other's perspective but never let it affect me or my thoughts, I don't know how that happened with this book.

Favorite parts:
"You're not going to believe me"
"Life is a fragile thing. Apparently the whole world is fragile too"
"Lives are made of strings of moments, and every once in a while, one of those moments is pivotal and defining."
"Mr. Michaels, please stop asking Ms. Tenner to marry you and pay attention."

14 comments:

  1. I think I would fall for Ben too. I have this but haven't read it yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love the last quote. I've seen the book cover, but never read the blurb or reviews. I've been swayed by reviews too. Now I add the book to my list and only check it out at the library after I've forgotten my first reactions. I'm totally this one. I like that you re-read it and had a different experience (and in a positive way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is I forget easily, so I can come back a couple of weeks later and not know what it was about. Especially since we see tons of different books all over the blogs

      Delete
  3. Yay! So glad you love this too. :-) And I agree, Ben is the best (and side note, I love Daryl from TWD too!) I don't think he's too perfect. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he has flaws just like everyone else, but I saw some reviews were people were saying things like the characters weren't real because they were perfect. Yay for Daryl! He is just awesome!

      Delete
  4. Such an awesome review! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book and I'm super excited to read this book.
    -Scott Reads It

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how many times I am guilty of doing that. I read all these reviews before I start a book and even if there are raving reviews, it's the negative ones that seem to stick with me. Then when I start reading, I just can't shake the feeling that I'm going to not like it. So glad you reread this and gave it another shot! I have heard about this one but didn't really pay much attention to it, whoops. Seems like it's good, though! I love rereading books, just for the purpose of discovering the world again. I usually do end up loving it more. Really great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and there were great reviews as well, for some reason all I could think about when I started it the first time were the negative things. But still, the first time, even though I wasn't very into it the first couple of chapters, halfway through I started liking it because I just had to leave the negative things aside and still like it overall, not just as much as this time. Because I went into it from the beginning, not caring about anything. I like rereading the ones I love the most. Going back to that world is just like visiting a favorite place.

      Delete
  6. I love when a book keeps me wondering and wanting to know. :) So glad you enjoyed it. I've been hearing amazing things about this series. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Unbreakable, can't wait to read it.

      Delete
  7. I had no idea how much I was going to love this book! Like you, I thought the investigating parts of the book were so much. And nice shout-out to Daryl Dixon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love CSI, so it felt like we were part of the whole investigating process. That was really cool.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. :D
I try to reply as soon as I can and on your blog. If I can't find your blog I'll reply here.